Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Mason-Dixon Fan is Born

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying Mason-Dixon Knitting! I have dropped everything to get involved in it--including frogging a half-finished dishcloth last night. It had just developed some nasty looking holes and I thought---I can either spend the time to fix this, OR I could frog it and start a ball-band washcloth, or find out what's so great about Log Cabin, or we've got a window that simply must have a Bubbly Curtain....! Aside from the incredible wit of the writing in the book, I also appreciate the encouragement to "Go, do!" without always having to stick to patterns. While I greatly appreciate patterns and the feeling that comes from finishing one, M-DK gives me permission to try something big without a pattern. My daughter has never been afraid to do this, but Mama needed a little push.

It's good to love a knitting book. Here are some others that I love:

Knit and Stitch for Beginners by Wendy Freeman
Knitting Stitch Bible by Maria Parry-Jones
Vogue Knitting Quick Reference
New Knits on the Block by Vickie Howell
Knit Scarves! by Candi Jensen

No comments: