Monday, October 06, 2008

World Habitat Day

Today is World Habitat Day. If you are reading this in the comfort of adequate shelter, you are better off than the one billion people worldwide who currently live in slums. I wonder, what would happen to the quality of life if everyone who felt compelled to upgrade their kitchen counter tops to granite gave that money instead to Habitat for Humanity? It's just a thought, and I admit it's a decision I've not been faced with, but watching House Hunters and seeing so many whining Americans turn down a potential home based on the floor coverings or the wall color tends to make me philosophical. That and the fact that I know of a group in Central America right now, building a house with Habitat for a family who needs it. Let's be grateful out there, people.

1 comment:

DaleMarie said...

Your post reminds me of the other day when I saw a few minutes of a home remodeling show on tv. The homeowners were having their kitchen gutted and remodeled. It was pretty surprising to see the "before" shots of the kitchen; it looked fantastic to me. I couldn't believe they were going to gut the whole thing.